emaree

emaree

The Alchemist of Souls (Night's Masque, #1)
Anne Lyle
How to Train Your Dragon
Cressida Cowell
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Mary Roach
Blackbirds - Chuck Wendig I absolutely adored this book, and here are a few reasons why:-- A likeable, vivid lady protagonist with a foul mouth and a brutally honest tongue. If anyone's a fan of Chuck Wendig's brilliant TerribleMinds blog and his 'dubious writing advice', you'll feel right at home: they're different people, but they hold a lot of common ground when it comes to creative swearing.-- Really well-done present tense and timelines. The story moves between two timelines with short, snappy scenes without getting confusing, and the present tense keeps us right there for every moment of the action.-- I haven't read adult fiction in a while, since my main reading focus is YA, and there was something refreshing about the gritty no-holds-barred violence and sex in this story. But it's not for everyone, of course: I know some of you aren't a fan of (very gratuitous) gore or profanity, so this might not be the book for you.-- Balanced, likeable characters. Everyone has a strong visual design (Louis looks like Frankenstein's monster, and Miriam describes herself as "like something blown in off a dusty highway") and glimpses of backstory that make even the cruel villain's sympathetic.-- That cover! You have to admit, that if some fiiiine, eye-catching artwork.